Pages

france

Friday, November 12, 2010

Saving Kannada in Bangalore is my responsibility - Prof G Venkatasubbaiah

senior Kannada litterateur, is going to head the 77th All India Kannada Sahitya Sammelana, which is scheduled to be held in Bangalore from December 24 to 26 at National College Grounds. Speaking to Team DNA, 97-year-old Venkatasubbaiah, who is fondly known as GV, says he is happy about his selection as the president of the sammelana.

You have been selected as the president of the 77th Sahitya Sammelana. Did you expect this honour?
I am extremely happy to be selected as the president for the sammelana, which is going to be held in the city. I really did not expect this. This is the greatest honour of my life. I am really lucky and proud and words cannot express the happiness I now feel.
You were also the president of the Kannada Sahitya Parishat. How much has it grown now?

When I was the president of the Parishat, we were facing many problems. There were no funds even to pay employees their salaries. Then I approached the then chief minister, Ramakrishna Hegde, who was kind enough to release funds from the government annually.

What are the challenges before you as sammelana president?

There are plenty of challenges before me. When we look at the entire population in the city, only 20% are Kannadigas, and it is really a dangerous development. I need to show a proper route to save Kannada in Bangalore. That is the main responsibility which is on my shoulder.

IT-BT is growing fast in the city. What is your advice to people in these sectors?
I am not against IT-BT. Let them take whatever salary they want as per their capacity, but my advice and request to them is to save Kannada and to develop the language. English, Spanish and Portuguese are some of the languages which have the capacity to swallow other languages. I am not against the use of English, but my request to them is not to forget Kannada.

What is your opinion about the education system in the state?
There are many loopholes in the existing education system. I don't like the concept Nali-Kali, which has been introduced recently by the state government at the primary school level. It is not successful, and the government should withdraw that. The government should not put pressure on teachers and students.

Kannada should be the first language in all city schools. If a child learns Kannada, then the entire family will learn the language. The government should give preference to those who study in Kannada medium schools, so that the language is not neglected.

No comments:

Post a Comment